The Huntington Society of Canada (HSC) strives for a better future for those affected by Huntington disease (HD). HSC focuses on three main areas:
1. Funding cutting edge research into slowing or stopping the progression of HD
2. Funding Family Services workers across Canada to provide support for those affected by HD
3. Raising awareness of HD, educating the public and health services professionals, as well as advocating for the rights of those affected by HD
Join the Huntington Heroes across Canada for the National Virtual Walk to raise funds to support our Huntington disease (HD) community!
The Huntington Heroes theme celebrates the everyday heroes that make up the HD community – caregivers, professionals, and those at-risk or living with the disease who are compassionate, courageous and committed to support.
This year we are encouraging participants to walk throughout the month of May to reach our target goal of 4000 km walked by our community. We know we can do it by making walking a habit and encouraging friends and family to join us. As well, there will be a variety of in-person events! Check out your local chapter’s planned activities and then join the fun and fundraising.
*T-shirts ordered by April 4th will be shipped by the 2nd week of May.
*T-shirts ordered after April 4th will be shipped in June.
This year's walk ends on Monday June 6. We encourage you to submit your donations by this deadline to be considered for our prizes and the final tally, to be announced on Tuesday June 7. However, the fundraising page will accept donations until June 30 and they will be matched by an anonymous donor up until that time.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
1. FIND A WALK NEAR YOU: Find a local walk by scrolling down OR clicking on the "Events" tab above. If there is not a walk near you, sign up for the 2022 Virtual Walk and participate in your own neighbourhood.
2. REGISTER: Register for the event of your choosing and create your own personal fundraising page to raise funds for the National Virtual Walk.
3. SET UP YOUR FUNDRAISING PAGE: Once registered, add your fundraising goal and update your personal message.
4. ASK FOR DONATIONS: Use your fundraising page to ask for donations. Check out these tips on how to raise $1,000 in a week!
5. WALK: Throughout the month of May, walk, run or roll in your own neighbourhood or on a trail of your choosing.
6. TRACK YOUR KILOMETERS: Click on "Walk/Run for HD" in the back end of your fundraising page. Link your Strava account to your fundraising page for your kilometers to automatically be tracked, OR input your kilometers manually on your personal fundraising page. Once inputted, you may qualify for a distance prize and you'll be able to see our collective kilometers rising on the right hand side of this page.
7. SHARE: Please share photos of yourself participating in the National Virtual Walk on Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag #HuntingtonHeroes and upload your photos to your personal fundraising page. We have tons of fun things to download such as signs and frames that can be added to photos and shared on social media!