HSC’s Huntington Heroes National Virtual Walk is officially here! Join us as we walk in our own neighbourhoods, united in spirit and all part of an amazing, caring, dedicated and courageous community. Check out this video full of great tips and tricks on navigating your walk this weekend from Community Events Coordinator, Kelsey Laidlaw and join us for a quick warm-up to kickstart your day led by our incredible HSC staff.
It’s more important than ever before to walk and fundraise for Huntington disease (HD). Recently Huntington Society of Canada (HSC) has seen a 34% increase in demand for Family Services, and we’re counting on all of our Huntington Heroes to help us raise funds to go towards these all-important offerings for families facing HD.
The Huntington Society of Canada (HSC) strives for a better future for those affected by Huntington disease (HD). HSC focuses on three main areas:
1. Funding cutting edge research into slowing or stopping the progression of HD
2. Funding Family Services workers across Canada to provide support for those affected by HD
3. Raising awareness of HD, educating the public and health services professionals, as well as advocating for the rights of those affected by HD
Join the Huntington Heroes across Canada for the National Virtual Walk to raise funds to support our Huntington disease (HD) community. This year we are coming together to raise funds and awareness for HD on May 29-30. The coordinated effort to walk together on the same weekend across the country makes both our impact and voices so much stronger as we unite virtually in this common goal.
The Huntington Heroes theme acknowledges the everyday heroes that make up the HD community – caregivers, professionals, and those at-risk or living with the disease who are compassionate, courageous and committed to support. Even though we are unable to assemble physically this year due to COVID-19, it is more important than ever to come together as a community and support the families of Huntington disease!
** BE SURE TO REGISTER FOR A T-SHIRT BEFORE APRIL 25TH IF YOU'D LIKE YOUR T-SHIRT FOR TO ARRIVE BEFORE THE WALK WEEKEND, FINAL T-SHIRT REGISTRATION CLOSES MAY 16TH**
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
1. FIND A WALK NEAR YOU: Find a local virtual walk by scrolling down OR clicking on the "Events" tab above. If there is not a virtual walk near you, sign up for the 2021 Virtual Walk and participate in your own community.
2. REGISTER: Register for the event of your choosing and create your own personal fundraising page to raise funds for the National Virtual Walk. Choose to register for $35 and receive a t-shirt in the mail, or register for free! Register for a t-shirt before April 25th in order to ensure it arrives before the walk. If you register after April 25th we cannot guarantee your shirt will arrive before the walk weekend. Registration for a T-Shirt closes May 16th.
3. SET UP YOUR FUNDRAISING PAGE: Once registered, add your fundraising goal and update your personal message.
4. ASK FOR DONATIONS: Use your fundraising page to ask for donations. Check out these tips on how to raise $1,000 in a week!
5. WALK: On the weekend of May 29 - 30, walk, run or roll in your own neighbourhood or on a trail of your choosing.
4. TRACK YOUR KILOMETERS: Click on "Walk/Run for HD" in the back end of your fundraising page. Be sure to link your Strava account to your fundraising page for your kilometers to automatically be tracked, OR input your kilometers manually on your personal fundraising page. Once inputted, you'll be able to see our collective kilometers rising on the right hand side of this page.
5. SHARE: Please share photos of yourself participating in the National Virtual Walk on Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag #HuntingtonHeroes and upload your photos to your personal fundraising page. We have tons of fun things to download such as signs and frames that can be added to photos and shared on social media! Check them out on our Downloadable Resources page under "What's Happening".