The Race to Give was created by Hagyard Equine Medical Institute in 2021 and is an online giving and awareness campaign designed to raise money for Thoroughbred aftercare programs and initiatives. The 2022 campaign runs from October 7 through November 12.
Like many in the Thoroughbred industry, Hagyard believes that it is our collective responsibility to protect the wellbeing of Thoroughbreds as they retire from their racing and breeding careers. What comes after can be just as exciting as their time on the track. We aim to support these initiatives so Thoroughbreds can go on to successful futures as performance horses, the next beloved family addition, or onto their next recreational adventure. The Race to Give also spotlights the people in our industry that support and work passionately in aftercare.
Join us in our goal of raising awareness and funds for Thoroughbred aftercare programs!
How can you get involved?
Whether you want to join as an individual, register or join a team, or make a donation, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved.
1. Join a Group! Like our beloved Thoroughbreds, we have a competitive spirit too. That’s why we encourage participants to join a group they most identify with and help their group to race to the top of the leaderboard! You will be asked to self-identify with a group when registering. Learn about Groups.
2. Join as an individual! Click on the "Register as an Individual" button and follow the prompts. Be sure to share your fundraising page and the cause with your friends on social media or by email and ask them for their support!
3. Start or join a team! Click on the "Join or Start a Team" button and follow the prompts. If you know someone participating, you can join their team by selecting the team you'd like to join and entering in your information. You can customize your team’s page and encourage your friends to help you compete against other farms, consignors, trainers, jockeys and Thoroughbred enthusiasts!
4. Make a donation! Click on any of the "Donate" buttons and follow the prompts. You will have the option to designate your donation to an individual or team to show your support. Be sure to share on your social media platforms by using the hashtag #aracetogive.
5. Complete a challenge! Join one of the challenges that will be released during the campaign. It is a fun way to challenge your friends while raising money for aftercare! Follow Hagyard Equine Medical Institute or Thoroughbred Charities of America on Facebook and Instagram for challenges!
description goes here
Your support makes a difference!
Your Race to Give donation goes directly to Thoroughbred Charities of America (TCA), a nonprofit grantmaking organization that awards annual grants to approved applicants. TCA supports Thoroughbred aftercare organizations that work to rehab, retrain, and rehome Thoroughbreds. In addition, TCA also supports organizations that are working to create a demand for off-track Thoroughbreds through incentive programs and competitions.
All proceeds from the Race to Give will be distributed during TCA's 2023 granting cycle. Grants will be directed to TCA-approved aftercare-focused organizations. All donations are tax deductible. A tax receipt will be provided by TCA.
Why is Thoroughbred aftercare important?
“Aftercare” refers to the care a Thoroughbred receives after they finish their racing or breeding career.
On average, Thoroughbreds retire from racing by age six. Since horses can live well into their late 20’s, a Thoroughbred has a lot of life left to live after the race track. Responsible owners can set their horse up for future success by retiring them injury-free and place them into a TCA approved aftercare program where they can be retrained for their next career.
Many Thoroughbreds will move into careers in new disciplines such as eventing, hunter/jumpers, dressage, western, polo, trail riding, equine-therapy, and much more. Thoroughbreds are extremely versatile and can often be retrained for multiple disciplines.
Proud supporters of the Race to Give