- In 2015, more than 20,000 young people were not reunited with their families or placed in permanent homes.
- Despite the promises of the national foster care system, as of 2012, more than 58,000 children in the U.S. foster care system were placed in institutions or residential facilities.
- 1 out of every 2 kids who age out of the system will develop a substance dependence.
- Adopted children make-up roughly 2% of the total child population under the age of 18.
- 55% of these children who wind up being legally emancipated by the foster care system have had 3 or more placements over their childhood.
- There is a direct correlation to the age of a child who enters foster care and their likelihood of being successfully discharged to a permanent home instead of being legally emancipated.
- More than 40% of the children who reach the age of 18 while in foster care were in the system for more than 3 years.
Source: Brandon Gaille
On – 25 May, 2017 By Race Media