Rappel times will be between 9 AM – 5 PM
Where: Hotel Blackhawk, 200 E. 3rd Street, Davenport
Rappel 11 stories (140-ft.) down the north side of the building.
What: A life-changing experience that allows YOU to make a positive impact in our community!
BBBS is thrilled to be hosting their 7th annual event in 2024 in the Quad Cities. Over the Edge is truly a unique fundraiser, that is held all across the country in effort to support and raise important funds for non-profits. Specifically to BBBS, this event has an enormous and immediate impact on one-to-one youth mentoring, providing key dollars to help BBBS grow and enhance their services and programs for children facing adversity in the Mississippi Valley.
On event day, over the course of eight hours with two ropes, BBBS is preparing to send a total of 100 people, called “Edgers”, Over the Edge. Some of these people are individual Edgers raising money and others are representing companies, clubs or institutions who are fundraising together as a “Fearless Leader Team”. Please scroll down to learn more about each one of these. Also, participation is not limited to the athletic or brave or to only people from the QCA. We have had a 18 year old Littles rappel with their Big as well as a 90 year old man plus people who are sisters, former high school buddies, husband and wife, long distance relatives, co-workers, first responders, CEOs, City Mayors and more. Please click on the FAQs link above for more information.
We invite you to get involved, whether that’s by showing your courage and rappelling, volunteering for Event Day OR by making a donation to one of our brave Edgers. All of it matters and makes a difference as we work together to help all children see the potential within them – anything is possible when you Rise Above and believe You Can Do It!
Watch this informational video from WHBF Meteorologist and Edger, Andy McCray > https://youtu.be/fkqL0PuxI5s
description goes here
Be BOLD and take the following steps for an experience of a lifetime:
1. Commit to raising a minimum of $1,000 to go Over The Edge.
2. Click on the"Register as an Individual" button above and fill the form out as directed.
3. Upon completion of this form you will pay a registration fee deposit that secures a spot for you to rappel.
4. Once registered you will receive an email directing you to create your own personalized fundraising page. Photos and a short background story about you is recommended. (BBBSMV can help you with this as needed)
5. Next, share your personalized link to your fundraising page. Use social media, texting, emailing, and meetings at work to engage friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers to help you raise the funds.
The deadline for raising the money is August 16th. If you have not raised all your money at that point, we will ask for your credit card to charge the difference between what you have raised and your $1,000 minimum goal.
2. Click on the "Form A Group" button above and fill the form out as directed.
3. Upon completion of this form, you'll pay a registration fee deposit to secure two spots. This deposit will apply towards your minimum.
4. Once registered, you will receive an email directing you to create a personalized fundraising page. We recommend incorporating a photo of each of you or one together with a short description as to who you are and why you're doing it. (BBBSMV can help create it as needed).
5. Next, share your personalized link to your fundraising page on social media, texts, emails, and in the workplace to help raise funds.
The deadline for raising the money is August 16th. If you have not raised all your money at that point, we will ask for your credit card to charge the difference between what you have raised and your $1,750 minimum goal.
This is a great avenue to get a team of co-workers, friends, family or club members together. The team fundraises together through a shared fundraising page then go OVER THE EDGE together (two people will rappel at the same time).
1. Commit to raising a minimum of $2,500 to send (3) people Over The Edge. Additional rappellers from the same group or company are an additional $750 each.
For example: (4) rappellers on the team will need to raise $3,250.
2. Click on the "Form A Group" button above and fill the form out as directed. You will receive promo codes once you register your team. The promo codes will be used for any additional person who wants to join the team and help raise money to go over the edge.
3. Upon completion of this form you will pay a registration fee deposit. This deposit secures your spot and goes towards your minimum.
4. Once your registration is submitted you will receive an email directing you to create your own personalized fundraising page. (BBBSMV can help you with creating this page as needed).
5. Utilize your fundraising page, as well as social media, texting, emailing, and meetings/common areas in the workplace to engage co-workers in helping raise funds.
The fundraising deadline is August 16th. If you have not raised all your money at that point, we will ask for your credit card to charge the difference between what you have raised and your minimum goal.
Big Brother Joe Moralez and Little Rodolfo take an adventure together!
Rodolfo and I were at the edge of the Blackhawk Hotel ready to rappel down eleven stories. We had been coached, trained and equipped for the exhilarating challenge. Rodolfo’s breath came quickly as he checked his equipment one last time. I could see excitement in his eyes and body language. I maintained my bearing; although I will admit I was slightly excited and nervous, even as a veteran rappeller. You still get a rush every time. I was especially excited for Rodolfo, because it was his first time. With encouragement and direction from the master rappel coach, we were ready to go for it.
Rodolfo and I looked each other in the eye and I felt his gratitude, not only for the rappelling but also for our journey as brothers. We leaned back and almost simultaneously shouted, “Go for it, hermano (brother)”. I went first to show the way, and he followed cautiously but with enthusiasm. All the way down, I continued to encourage him. About a quarter of the way down the building, he picked up speed and confidence. He was on his way.
Rodolfo had turned 18 earlier that year. This was our last match event on our journey. Today he is a young man, going to college, working and a contributing citizen of our community. Over the Edge provides an opportunity to contribute funds for an exceptionally fulfilling experience for Big Brothers Big Sister matches.
For more than 30 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Mississippi Valley has operated under the belief that inherent in every child, is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. As a donor supported volunteer organization, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 7 through 18, throughout eastern Iowa and western Illinois. We develop positive friendships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.
Thank you to our AMAZING 2023 Sponsors
(Interested in sponsoring 2024?)