Congratulations to the winner of the 2022 Pet of the Year competition
Happy Happy Hazel
Hazel and her human partner Sara raised more than $30,000 to support Pet Partners Therapy Animal Program.
Fun Facts about our 2022 Pet of the Year:
- Hazel and Sara are a registered therapy animal team and Hazel has been a therapy dog since 2018.
- Hazel has made over 350 visits and has over 1,000 volunteer hours.
- Credentialed with Pet Partners Animal-Assisted Crisis Response (AACR) Program.
- Multiple AKC Therapy Dog titles.
- Favorite Toy: blue squeaky dinosaur & anything her siblings are playing with.
- Favorite Activity: making people smile (especially children) at therapy animal visits. Sharing her love and adventures on social media @happyhappyhazel.
- Favorite Treat: Pumpkin & yogurt pup-sicles and goat cheese.
- Greatest Accomplishment: “Making a difference in this world…one paw at a time.”
- Happy Happy Hazel and her human parents have raised over $175,000 for dog-related nonprofits since 2019.
Hazel’s focus as a therapy animal is on children, with emphasis on grief.
- Children’s Bereavement Center of South Texas (since 2018): Hazel started off working with children ages 6–18 but now specializes in children ages 3-6 (Little Hearts group). It’s the perfect group because of her small size.
- Christa Santa Rosa Children’s Hospital: Hazel provides support during pre-op for pediatric spinal procedures, followed by visits with patients and staff throughout the hospital.
- Thousand Oaks Elementary School: Working with kids from military families whose parents are deployed. Hazel was given the Superintendent’s Award for 2019 and 2022 (no awards were given during COVID restrictions).
“Making a difference in the world, one paw at a time.”
Hazel’s Pet of the Year fundraising slogan:
“Little paws for a Big Cause”
Hazel’s 2023 slogan:
“Therapy in a fur coat”