Know Before You Go
We are putting in all of the necessary safety measures to ensure that we can have a safe, fun, in-person Run for the Wild. But we can't do that without you. Please review this page for event safety measures and what you can expect on April 24th.
Start Times Will Be Staggered and All Participants Must Arrive as Close to Their Start Time As Possible
There are two courses – a 5K Run or 3K Fun Run/Walk
All Participants Must Select a Start Time During Registration
Participation will be limited, and starting times will be staggered into groups of just 500 runners starting every 30 minutes throughout the day, to ensure adequate space for social distancing.
- Select the most convenient start time for you – If you are part of a team, each team member will need to pick a start time. Each start time is limited and teams may not all be able to reserve the same time. Due to strict capacity limitations per course selection and heats, you will not be permitted to switch courses or times. The bib you receive corresponds to the time you requested. You will not be permitted to run or walk in any other time other than what you selected at registration.
- Please arrive as close to your start time as possible – Participants will be required to remain in vehicles until 10 minutes prior to your selected start time. There will not be any pre-start activities. There will be a dedicated waiting area for mass transit users only.
- Please check FAQs for further information
There Are Two Courses – a 5K Run Course and a 3K Family Fun Run/walk
In order to space out participants, we will have two courses with different starting locations.
- 5K Run will begin at the Bronx River Entrance. Start times range from 8AM – 10AM.
- 3K Family Fun Run/Walk will begin at the Southern Boulevard Entrance. Start times range from 10:30AM – 12:30PM.
Health And Safety is a Priority!
We are limiting capacity, but still need your help to keep everyone safe and maintain social distancing.
- Launches Will Be Socially Distanced: Bronx Zoo staff will guide you to your socially distanced marker (6 feet from other participants). At each start time there will be a total of 500 participants permitted to run launching five per line every 20 seconds to allow for distancing on the course.
- Health Screenings: We will be closely monitoring all CDC and NYS guidelines to determine best safety practices. This may include onsite temperature screening. All participants are required to sign waivers during registration that consent to screening requirements.
- Healthy Hands Stations: Hand sanitizer available at all entrances and throughout the park near food/retail and exhibit areas.
- All Bronx Zoo visitor policies are in effect. Review all visitor behavior and activity policies.
Face Covering Is Required.
We expect NYS face covering policies to still be in effect on April 24th. We will be following NYS policy on that date which will likely require all visitors age two and up to be wearing a mask or face covering. Additionally, our staff will be wearing masks.
There Is a Minimum Fundraising Requirement for Adults.
As in previous years, there is a $35 minimum fundraising requirement for adults. There is no fundraising minimum for children.
- Fundraising minimum must be met by April 4th. If the $35 is not met by April 4th, the credit card used for registration will be charged the difference. For example, if you fundraised $10 by April 4th, your credit card is charged $25. Please note that multiple registrations on one credit card will incur minimum donation charges for any adult registration that has not met the minimum.
- Beginning April 5th, minimum fundraising requirement will be added to the registration fee.
- T-shirts and race bibs will be mailed beginning April 4th.
For everyone's health and safety, we are eliminating the following:
- No bag check: Please keep your personal items with you at all times. Leave any unnecessary items in your car.
- No day of registration: Attendance is limited. Registration will remain open until April 23rd or the event sells out.
- No spectators: Due to capacity restrictions, only participants can be at the Bronx Zoo on April 24th.
- No clock: The Run for the Wild has always been a non-competitive event. Due to staggered start times, we will not have an official time clock at the event.
- No water station on the course: Water and grab-and-go light refreshments will be provided at the end of the course.
This applies to all visitors – one-day ticket holders and WCS members. New dated/time entry tickets are valid for a single visit. Reentry is not permitted.
Be a Responsible Participant & Protect Yourself and Others.
From social distancing behaviors to handwashing, we need all guests to continue to participate in proper healthy behaviors when visiting. Please remember:
- If you are sick, or have possible symptoms, please stay home and take time to recover.
- Distance responsibly! Keep at least 6 feet between yourself and others. Please be patient at animal exhibit areas and allow guests to move along before stepping forward or creating crowds. Pay attention to all zoo signs, as some pathways are now one-way.
- Wash your hands often. Restrooms for washing with soap and water are available across the park, and we've added hand sanitizer stations near exhibits and other gathering areas.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing.
- Do not touch your face with unwashed hands.
Do Not Bring Scooters.
For everyone's safety, child scooters are never permitted. See our complete list of rules.